If you are considering the idea of working from home and having your own home office, there are a few things you need to be aware of. There are a lot of myths about being able to work at home that you need to free your mind of if you want to be successful at the work you want to do.
- You will have more time with your family - One of the most common myths is that you will be able to spend more time with your family. Well, you will be home a lot more however; you won't be spending any more time with your family, in fact you will more than likely be spending more spare time working than you would if you were working away from home. You may find yourself sitting alone in a corner of your house or in your home office while your family enjoys the meal that you just fixed.
- You can take care of the kids while you work - Another myth is that you will be able to work while you take care of your kids so you'll be able to save a lot of money on daycare. You will probably find out the first full work day at home what it will be like working at home with a toddler you will be more worn out from stopping them getting into all your stuff than the actual work. So childcare might become a bigger necessity than ever before.
- You are your own boss - If the myth that you will be your own boss, is true, it would mean that you would be able to choose what hours you want and when you can stop and take some time for yourself. However; you will soon discover how quickly you can become enslaved to your contracts and how you will end up being willing to work nights, weekends and even the holidays in order to meet all of the deadlines you might be facing.
- Friends and family will leave you alone to work - People will understand that I need my time and space to be able to get my work done when it needs to be done. Unfortunately this is untrue. As soon as people realize that you are at home they will find any excuse to stop by and visit for a cup of coffee or some conversation. They might call just to shoot the breeze in the middle of the day, talk a little gossip and so on. You will quickly find out people simply don't realize that working at home is just as serious of a job as working away from home.
- You can slack off at home - You think that you can treat your work at home job the same as one where you work onsite with a supervisor, you will soon find out how you are. Working at home actually means that you have to be even more dedicated and more responsible than you actually would be if you were working away from the home. You have to be more self disciplined, more efficient and more capable than working on at a job that is away from home.
- I can make more money from home - If you think you'll be making the same amount of money, you would be wrong again. It all depends upon you and how many hours you are willing to work in order to make that money. You will find yourself probably working twice as many hours than you would be working at a job away from home.
But don't let this scare you off, there are a lot of benefits you can get from working at home and they are there to be discovered and the only way you will reap them will be if you think you are self disciplined enough and have enough take charge attitude to work at home, you should step up to the plate and give it all you got!