More and more people today are finding some way to work from home either as a freelancer, small business owner or even telecommuting for the company that they work for. Even though this seems to be a wonderful way to work, there are going to a variety of different kinds of distractions that a person is going to come up against that they wouldn't have to deal with if they were working away from home. There a lot of other things a long with distractions that need to be accounted for and need to be prepared for in order to be successful at working at home. There are many tips that can help you be successful working at home covered here are five work at home tips that should help anyone with their work at home venture.
1. Make sure that you have a very good and reliable computer that you can work with. It should have all the software programs that you will need to work from home. Make sure that it is well maintained at all times, this means that you should make sure that you do weekly maintenance on your computer by defragmenting it as well as using special programs that check for viruses and spyware. Another important thing you will need is a good Internet service. Your best bet is to go with DSL if it is available in your area, otherwise you can go with cable or satellite. It is highly advisable that you stay away from dial up.
2. It is vitally important that you have space in your home where you can have privacy. You will discover that if your work space is located in an area of high traffic in your home that you will soon become frustrated and your productivity will suffer. Make sure that the space you choose gives you plenty of room and easy access to supplies, phone and any reference materials that you might need. The more organized your work area is the more efficient and productive you are going to be.
3. If you are telecommuting for a company, it is always a good idea for you to be able to still communicate with those who work at the office. Make sure that your manager and those in the office have all of your current contact information so that they can contact you with ease. Another good thing to do is to set up an instant message service that others you work with can easily set up. This way you can communicate with others in a quick and easy manner. This is also a good way to communicate with those who may be using your services as a freelancer.
4. Express to both your family and friends how important it is that they understand that just because you are at home, does not mean that the importance of your job is any less. It is important that you set up a work schedule that you have posted for your family to be aware of and give this same schedule to your friends so that they know when you are available and not available.
5. Stay focused. You can do this by starting your job at the same time every day. Get up at the same time and be at your desk at the same time each day. As stated before create a schedule. Try to keep the same work hours you might have if you were working away from home. Keep down the distractions by making sure your work space is in a private area with a door that closes. Take regular breaks, no different than if you were working in the office, this will help keep your mind alert and fresh. Make sure to set up objectives for yourself as well as goals and make sure that you meet these goals and objectives by the end of your scheduled work day.
This type of work is not for everyone, so remember that if you find it hard to be self disciplined you may discover that you may not be right for working at home. However; if you are well disciplined, a good planner and well prepared you should have no problems being successful at a work at home position.